The White House calls for the release of Alan Gross but puts scant pressure on Havana to let him go.
By MAURICIO CLAVER-CARONE
Since December 2009, American development worker Alan Gross has been imprisoned by the Castro regime for trying to help Cuba’s Jewish community connect to the Internet. For that Mr. Gross—who was in Cuba as a contractor for the U.S. Agency for International Development—was arrested, convicted in a sham trial and sentenced to 15 years.
The White House and State Department have repeatedly called for Alan Gross’s “immediate release.” The Gross family’s legal team urged the family to keep a low profile, thinking it could negotiate his release. (The family ended that representation earlier this year.)
But Fidel and Raúl Castro don’t typically react to discretion and haven’t felt much U.S. pressure on this case. Even after Mr. Gross was seized, the administration sought rapprochement with Havana and continued talks in 2010 and 2011. It also has continued to ease U.S. sanctions on Cuba.
Mr. Gross’s sister, Bonnie Rubinstein, recently led a protest in front of the Cuban Interests Section—a de facto embassy—in Washington, D.C., seeking her brother’s release. She feels “he’s being ignored” and says, “Alan does not want to be forgotten. He doesn’t want to be left there. He wants people to know about him.”
It’s easy to understand her concern. In April 2009, the Obama administration eliminated all restrictions on Cuban-American travel and remittances to Cuba, which became the centerpiece of our nation’s new “Cuba policy.” Those actions predated Mr. Gross’s arrest. However, after Mr. Gross was seized in December of that year and throughout 2010, while he was being held without trial, the administration took various steps that, collectively, seem incomprehensible.
Article continues here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443324404577594870481241852.html
By Juan Tammayo, McClatchy Newspapers
MIAMI — A top Cuban journalist faces a 15-year prison sentence for spying, just two years after Raul Castro issued an unusually public praise for his expose of a scandalously botched public works project, according to reports.
Jose Antonio Torres was the correspondent in eastern Santiago de Cuba, the island’s second largest city, for the newspaper Granma, the official voice of the ruling Communist Party, until his arrest in February 2011. Prosecutors sought the 15-year sentence on a charge of espionage during a court hearing in mid-June, according to a post Wednesday in the Spain-based blog Diario de Cuba – Cuba Diary – which first reported the Torres case in March of 2011. Dissident Jose Daniel Ferrer said prisoners he met in April in a Santiago police station during one of his frequent detentions arrests had told him that Torres was being held in Aguadores prison on the outskirts of the city and had been charged with spying. Torres told fellow inmates that he was innocent and remained a staunch government supporter, Ferrer said. His wife turned down offers of assistance from Havana human rights activist Elizardo Sanchez.
Diario de Cuba noted that its unidentified sources reported Torres had sent a letter to the U.S. diplomatic mission in Havana “showing an interest in providing information about military objectives” and “high officials … to whom he had access.” Other reports have indicated Torres was arrested in a corruption probe or in retaliation for his July 2010 report on a botched aqueduct construction project in Santiago. Cuba’s state-run news media, including Granma, have never reported on his arrest.
His 5,000-word report listed a string of blunders in the massive project, used strong words like “mistakes” and “bad job” and quoted Vice President Ramiro Valdes, who supervised the project, as saying that the situation was improving. Castro attached a personal note to the end of the Granma report praising Torres, by name, “for his steadfastness in following this project … I believe this is the spirit that must characterize the Party newspaper, to be transparent, critical and self-critical.” Granma‘s introduction to the postscript noted Castro read the report before it was published and told the newspaper to omit the names of the national and provincial officials mentioned in the Torres report “except for those of … Valdes and Ines Chapman,” at the time coordinator of the aqueduct project. That decision, Granma added, was taken “because the majority of them pointed out errors that happened but were not self-critical, even though they were the ones responsible for the shortcomings in the execution of the project.”
The Evolution of a Propagandist
Canadian academic Stephen Kimber, increasingly well known as a Castro apologist, is quickly developing a more sophisticated approach in his pro-Havana marketing. In a speech last week (see link), he acknowleded several lies spread by Cuba regarding the regime’s 1996 murder of 4 Americans and its US-based espionage operations. His overall speech predictably weaved together numerous lies, half-truths, and omissions. However, the inclusion of a few bona fide facts and admission to several regime-perpetuated falsehoods is a new twist, suggesting an effort by Kimber to portray himself as more balanced and objective. An interesting development worth watching…..
Danny Glover Ratifies Compromise with the Cause of the Cuban Five
Danny Glover continues his misguided efforts to free five Cuban spies involved in the premeditated murder of 4 Americans.